Joshua HurleyAugust - 2015
ALCOVA Mortgage is honored to recognize our newest Hometown Hero, the late Joshua Hurley.
This marks the first time the award is made posthumously. A longtime friend of the ALCOVA family and a classmate of its founders, Bobby Nicely, Bill Siple and Rob Lindstrom, Joshua was best remembered for his devotion to his friends, family and community. He is pictured here in November, 2003 with his wife Teresa.
* Born April 22,1979
* Graduated from Alleghany High School 1997
* Attended Virginia Military Institute where he made the Dean's Academic Honors List for six consecutive semesters and graduated with distinction in May 2001 with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
* Commissioned into Active service at the Virginia Military Institute, 18 May 2001.
* Assigned to Engineer branch.Completed the Engineer Office Basic Course at Fort Leonard Wood, 2 October 2001
* Completed the Ranger training, at Fort Benning on 15 March 2002
* Assigned to 326th Engineer Battalion, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell. Assumed role of Platoon Leader, 1st platoon, A Company
* Earned the Air Assault Badge at the Sabalauski Air Assault School at Fort Campbell on 26 August 2002
* Deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in February 2003
* Reassigned to C Company, 326th Engineer Battalion, in September 2003 to serve as the chief engineer on the liaison team to the Mayor of Mosul
* Killed in action November 1, 2003 - Mosul, Iraq
* Posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and Combat Action Badge for service during Operation Iraqi Freedom, as well as the Purple Heart
In a ceremony at Sharon Elementary on September 2nd, the founders of ALCOVA Mortgage gave a $500 donation to the school in memory of Joshua. The Hometown Heroes plaque will be displayed at the school as requested by Joshua’s parents. The school ceremony included the Pledge of Allegiance and a moment of silence. In addition, Joshua’s parents shared how much the school meant to him. Joshua Hurley exemplifies the characteristics of what our Hometown Hero program embodies. He is sorely missed by all that knew him, but uniquely appreciated by all of us here at ALCOVA Mortgage.